I LOVE TO READ

I LOVE TO READ
.SUBMISSION GUIDELINES FOR REVIEWS- Please be advised I am not taking any requests until 2015 due to ongoing illness. Please check back then to see if this has changed.only those I have agreed to before this will be reviewed Follow These Rules Exactly. Book Reviews here are my personal opinion only. I do not receive payment for reviews only digital copies or physical copies of the books to review. I also may review a copy I receive from the library or buy. I like paranormal, thriller, mystery, drama, human interest, intrigue etc. Let's face it most books. I do not read most science fiction but do make exceptions. I never read erotica, or extreme gore/ and language. I can only read one to two books weekly and review when writing myself. If you would like to have your book reviewed email me lilybrooksfield@gmail.com Preference given to Indie writers, (Ebooks preferred e-pub or kindle formats.)NO HATE MAIL Please do no contact me repeatedly, when finished I will email you. I grade from 1 to 5 stars, 5☆ being the best simply because I enjoyed the well-crafted story .I post to Amazon , if book is available there or Smashwords but only if provided link. Sometimes I will choose not to post a review if the book is unreadable or would score 1 or 2 ☆. Thank-you.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Review: The Alpine Advocate

Alpine Advocate


Category: Suspense, Murder, Mystery
Available at Amazon http://amzn.to/tDtZj6 
By Mary Daheim

I’ve enjoyed reading this series the Alpine series for quite awhile by somehow I missed this particular book in the series. Luckily for me I found a copy of the 2004 book recently and was able to read it.

     In this book Emma is running her newspaper the Alpine Advocate as in all the other books. Emma and the Sheriff Milo Dodge have gotten together but it is very casual and even Emma is not sure where that relationship is going. Her son Adam hasn’t been home in months form school and she’s missing him as he is spending the summer with her brother Father Ben. She’s worried that she’s losing him possibly to his father Tom who had betrayed Emma so badly. Ed Bronsky is still annoying Emma with his ridiculous hilarious schemes as well. To top of all the other stresses in Emma’s life things aren’t going so well at St. Mildred’s Catholic Church Emma’s church either. The traditional members are fighting with the non Catholic members over the direction the School is taking. The new principal is not focused on religion and guiding her young charges but has her own agenda and power struggles in sight as she favours a private school agenda. With an election underway tempers are rearing and Emma is worried when one of the most vocal advocates for the catholic system, Ursula O’Toole Randall winds up dead. Emma hates to think that a member of her church or town would kill Ursula but someone has. The number of suspects who have motive for killing this woman are coming out of the woodwork as Ursula (who has just  returned to Alpine)has being acting superior to most of the town. Emma decides to help solve the mystery, while covering the story, along with her side kick Vida Runkel (who treats her like a daughter).

A fun humourous read with many things going on at once, Mary Daheim weaves a story that is once suspenseful and seeded with humour. I enjoyed this book that I had missed in the series. It was as all of the series are, interesting and the story deeply rooted in the characters. A truly enjoyable read.

**** 5 stars out of five


No comments:

Post a Comment